Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Day of Ambiguity

Ever have one of those days where nothing seems to be working out but you're completely okay with it?

For example, my meeting today with the webmaster concerning the site I'm working on (more on that in a later post) was cancelled. But it's okay, because I could use more time to compile content anyway. So I'm strolling down the street now, content with the extra free time, when all of a sudden...



"Happy V-Day" they say with a smirk. V for... victory? Variety? Ventriloquism? Or is it venereal disease?  Ohhhh ya mean Valentine's Day! Well thanks I suppose. Happy V-day to you as well, ya pagan.

From what I've heard on the streets, people's plans for the evening are separated into 3 categories:
  1. Got a hot date, gonna score big. (To which I say go for it and have fun!)
  2. No date, gonna get hammered. (To which I say remember to hydrate!) and finally...
  3. I am sick with the flu, staying home. (To which I say feel better soon!)
While I don't exactly fit into the last category, I am still spending the night at home.  Because earlier today, I got a text from my date, who say she's sick. And that's fine.  We can hang out another day, I say.  I haven't tried the soup I made yet anyway, and there's a chance it could taste horrible. It will also give me more time to study for my midterm tomorrow, maybe organize some old comics and spruce up the place a bit. Sure, I'm a total nerd, and an introvert, but I see nothing wrong with taking a day off to love yourself.  In the long run, loving myself will help me to love others that much more.  So with all my plans cancelled, I float like a ghost through the rest of my day, trading some cans of food for a free coffee, dropping by the comics shop to say hello to Stu who runs the place, browsing my email.  Speaking of emails, one of the cool parts of working as an intern for a film festival is watching stuff like this counts as work.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/13838013?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/13838013">On Your Mark - Chage & Aska</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2222949">bahimas</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Isn't that incredible?  To me, Valentine's Day has always been about sharing with the people you love, so even though I'm spending most of it locked up in my apartment, I wish you all the best in romantic pursuits and drunken debauchery. Just try not to get sick!


No comments:

Post a Comment